Tuesday, April 20, 2010

nurtured heart approach


I have been going to parenting classes to learn about the Nurtured Heart Approach, a very progressive and refreshing parenting theory that focuses on the positive and beautiful qualities all children possess. It's about celebrating children's greatness and instilling inner wealth. The champion of this theory, Howard Glasser, defines inner wealth as "the ability to feel successful, cope, be happy, and grow within ourselves and with other people. It is a multifaceted inner experience of our greatness and deeply connected to our feeling that we have meaning, that we are important just by virtue of being alive." I love this. And the class has been such a refreshing way to think about how to be in the world and a wonderful reminder to not only celebrate our children, but our family, friends and even strangers we come in contact with every single day. Just see what happens the next time you truly stop to thank a bus driver, or tell the cashier at the grocery store what a fabulous job they are doing. This was part of our homework, and what a simple, powerful assignment it was! It baffles me why we don't all stop for one minute to make someone else's day. Go ahead... give it a try! I'll bet it will make you feel even more wonderful than the person receiving the compliment! It certainly did me, and it was amazing how the simplest little act could feel so empowering for both people. This method is definitely a learning curve and a wonderful way to grow as a person and a parent. I'm far from perfect at it, but I'm working on it and if there is anything in my power that I can do as a mom to instill inner wealth and raise children who feel great about who they are, exactly as they are, well I would be one thrilled mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment