Thursday, February 25, 2010

edible centerpiece




My husband treated to me to such a sweet Valentine ~ a beautiful herb pot filled with basil and oregano! We had been talking about how it would be fun (& economical!) to grow our own herbs so now we are! When we buy them at the store, at least half of them go bad before we have the chance to use them, the packaging seems so unnecessary, and I have a thing for wasting food. Inspired by the recent post winter greens on one of my very favorite blogs maya*made, we placed our herbs in the center of our table and walla! ~ we have our own edible centerpiece. It really is such a fun idea and makes for such a lovely focus on the table, and the kids are LOVING eating the fresh basil leaves (probably my favorite herb of all) right out of the pot. Owen likes to carefully place each basil leaf atop his pizza, then dip it in a little bowl of pure balsamic vinegar. Makes my lips pucker just thinking about it, but this five year old is turning out to be quite the adventurous little eater!

I am for sure a snow lover and seriously adore winter time ~ crackling wood burning fires, hot tea with honey, soups and warm bread, bundling up, the amazement that every single snowflake is unique, and just being cozied up in the house during the darkness of winter are some of my very favorite things. But for some reason this year, winter seems long and I'm really ready for the warmth of the sun to return. Our new centerpiece surely makes me feel that spring is just around the corner. Pretty Please!

No comments:

Post a Comment